As BattleFrog's biggest fan and a competitor on this year's ESPN BattleFrog League Championship I am torn as to whether or not this news should make me cry or get me excited about the future of the sport...
BattleFrog has suspended the remainder of the 2016 season to re-structure as a media company after the wildly successful ESPN BattleFrog College and League Championships reached over 10 million viewers over the last 2 months. As a participant on Team Chicago of the League championship I had an absolutely wonderful experience! However, it does not provide the same level of impact and life changing experience that a traditional OCR can provide to competitors. Our favorite hashtag #BandsOverBurpees is now irrelevant and the mandatory obstacle completion movement has taken a significant blow. However, if BattleFrog succeeds in it's new format, millions more could be exposed to the sport.
- Thousands of people have had their 2016 season significantly impacted
- Significant blow to the mandatory obstacle completion movement
- Is this just Team Ninja Warrior on dirt and ESPN?
- Sprint courses aren't geared towards the average person who could've made significant health/lifestyle changes.
- Athletes that will excel in this format are very different than the current community (sprint vs distance)
- Significant exposure for the sport
- Format that is more likely to make it as an Olympic Sport
- Large Sponsorship opportunities could lead to true "pro" full-time athletes
- TV exposure could help grow other OCR comapnies
Overall, I am in a state of shock, but not panic. I'm going to be revising the rest of my 2016 race schedule and trying to find the best place for myself in the sport. I do anticipate that Team Chicago will be asked to compete in BattleFrogs 2017 format as we were among the "fan favorites," so it's not goodbye, but I am going to deeply miss the absolutely amazing BattleFrog weekends that I had come to love! For those not involved on the show last year, I do anticipate many more opportunities for people to join the new format, so don't go burning your BattleFrog Series Finisher shirts just yet!